We are, that's for sure! We're gearing up for our annual trip to Portland for the Maine Marathon and Half this weekend and we can't wait! A whole bunch of folks have let us know that they are getting ready to run the half, including veteran half-marathoners April and Heather and first-time half-marathoners Becca, Ericka, Maria, Morgan, Sue and Tara . We are so excited for you guys! We are equally excited for Jen and Terry who are going after their first full marathon down in Portland this Sunday! It's going to be a great day - I can feel it already!
The Maine Half-Marathon was the first half-marathon that Jen, Christine and I ever ran and its a great race with fabulous support and fantastic spectators. Finishing that first big race was an amazing experience for us, and got us hooked, as we're now getting ready to run this race for the 4th year straight. Back in that first year, I remember stressing over what to pack and what I needed for the race (in addition to whether or not I'd be able to even make it 13.1 miles!!) so I asked the girls and we have a few tips on what to pack:
- Bring your race day running clothes. Try to choose things that you've worn before since you know that they'll be comfortable and won't chafe, etc. The weather could be just about anywhere in Maine in the fall, so I like to dress in layers and then just tie the shirts around my waist as I get hot.
- Don't forget your sneaks. Seriously, I always need a reminder on this one! I've almost walked out the door without them for 2 or 3 different races!
- Fuel up. Breakfast is key, especially on race day. It's always a good idea to stick with something you've already eaten before a long run. No one wants tummy trouble on race day! My go-to is a peanut butter sandwich and half cup of coffee. I bring it from home so there's no worries about having to go out and find the right stuff the morning of the race.
- Special Gear. Your Camelbak, water bottle, Gu, iPod, sunglasses, hat...any of that extra stuff that makes your run that much more comfortable.
- Remember a change of clothes for after the race. Unless you don't mind the drive home in your sweaty running gear, it's nice to have something dry and clean to put on afterwards. There are showers available at USM so if you're planning on that, you'll want a towel. And don't forget that extra pair of underwear too, unless going commando is how you roll ;)
- A positive attitude! Go in thinking it will be a good time and it will!!
For a few more ideas on getting ready for a great race, Jen had a great post about what to expect on race day. Check it out!
Maybe its a little superstition or just that we're creatures of habit, but Jen, Christine and I always have a pre-race dinner at the same delish restaurant every time we're in Portland for a race. You'll be able to find us at Espo's Trattoria on Congress St for dinner around 6 on Saturday - stop by and see us if you're there!
We'd love to meet up with folks before the race on Sunday morning too! We will plan to be at the corner of Forest Ave and Bedford St at around 7:15am on Sunday (this is about a half a block from the start). Stop by and say hi - we'd love to see you!
View Larger Map
Our tradition is a post-race lunch at Flatbread Pizza Company in the Old Port. The food is so yummy and the relaxed atmosphere is perfect for basking in the glory of finishing a race! Stop by and say hi if you see us there! :)