I just came across this list of 14 Reasons Running Is Going to be Your New Favorite Sport at Ecosalon.com and knew that I had to share it here with you! Here are the 14 reasons they give:
1. You can rave about how you’re living a low impact lifestyle
No gym membership needed, just yourself, your running clothes and your shoes. It doesn’t get much greener than that.
2. You can feel good about being a foodie
When you’re running regularly, you need to refuel, which means you get to indulge in the most delicious of high protein, high energy dishes. Start the day with a kale, ginger smoothie and baked egg in avocado, pop a few almond, fig energy bites post workout and end the day with a bowl of vegan alfredo. Yes, please.
3. You will save money on therapy and life coaches
Best debrief time? In the middle of a run. Some of the best life analysis comes along when you’re in the middle of breathing fresh air with a clear head.
4. You can get away from your computer and go outside
Instead of sticking to the gym, why not take the time to get outside and enjoy the spring weather and fresh air? Find a trail and get on it.
5. It’s a cheap way to socialize
Skip that post-work session of cocktails and catch up over intervals.
6. You can start citing inspirational quotes
Keep a few on hand so when someone is complaining about how mediocre they have been feeling late you can retort with health-related quotes like:
- To keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear. -Buddha
- The greatest wealth is health. -Virgil
- Health and cheerfulness naturally beget each other. -Joseph Addison
No one is going to judge your mixtape of 80s aerobic music and dubstep remixes when you’re working out, so make a fun playlist or try one of ours.
8. You will be less stressed than your friends
In a study at the University of Georgia Department of Exercise, researchers showed that an hour of exercise was three times more effective at reducing anxiety than resting. So stop counting to ten and put on your running shoes, because you’re about to be on the path to full-on, blissed out zen.
9. There’s this thing called “Runner’s High”
It feels good, is scientifically proven and is perfectly legal.
10. You can start making excuses for travel
Catch the running bug and you’ll find yourself researching running events around the country. And with running series like Color Run and travel companies like Running Away, which specializes in trips for runners, you’ll soon have a packed running calendar that just might take you all the way around the world.
11. You’ll look better online
Muddy shoe photos on Instagram? So hot right now.
12. You can change the world
Or at least support and organization that is changing the world. There are plenty of charity running events out there, find one and go.
13. You’ll have better sex
There is plenty of scientific research to back this up, but who needs it? You know perfectly well that when you’re feeling good about yourself and your body, the rest comes naturally.
14. Running tights feel simply amazing
You can finally stop feeling guilty about wearing those workout clothes in public, because this time around, you actually did just finish up a run. If you have never felt the super power of running tights, it’s time to start. And wasn’t it about time you looked good in spandex? We say yes.
Now, how about you? Do you have any other reasons?